September Squares Project

In August, my quilt guild had a local graphic designer come and speak to us about her design process.  One of the things that immediately struck me was a personal project that she did charting the clothing she wore over the course of a month.  I immediately decided to do a similar thing with my fabric.  So in September, I cut out a 1.5" square of every single fabric I used and threw it in a bin.  I also cut two pieces that were 1.5"x3.5" to represent the two bindings I sewed on and one piece that was 3.5"x3.5" to represent the back of a quilt that I quilted.

Once the month was over they sat for a little bit until I finally sewed them together into a blob, then added some fun quilting to give it a lot of personality:


The quilting makes a grid through the squares, with swirls at the ends.  I used lots of different thread colors in whatever felt right - there's no pattern and I may have used up a few bobbins in the process (as well as buried a ton of ends!).  Then I just continued the pattern with white thread to fill in the rest of the space.  The binding is a black fabric with colorful swirls - almost exactly the same as my quilting!

The back is another one of those fat quarters that seems like a good idea at the quilt store, but then never gets used because it's too hard to cut up:


Guess I just need to keep making mini quilts to use up all of those!  This mini is already hanging up on my mini quilt wall in my sewing room.

Comments