Something Magical

Almost two years ago, my husband's aunt asked me if I had seen that there was a Harry Potter themed quilt along starting soon.  I hadn't, but I quickly looked it up, fell in love, and then realized my plate was a little too full at the time.  I stuck the idea on my "someday" list and mostly forgot about it.

And then, as I was adding a new quilt to my quilt log last month, it hit me that I was approaching my 100th quilt.  I immediately decided it had to be something special and fun and just for me, so I pulled out my "someday" list and the Harry Potter quilt immediately caught my eye.  I've loved Harry Potter forever and my boys are very into him too: reading the books, watching the movies, playing the board game, and running around casting spells on each other.  Game over.  This is what I was making.  So I ordered some Moda Grunge in Sugar Cookies (Grunge is my current favorite for background fabrics) for the background and eagerly awaited its arrival.

While I waited, I went through the website, deciding on which blocks I would use, and printing off the paper-piecing templates for blocks 1 and 2.  Finally, it was time and I took a break from my Christmas sewing and got started:



There are 20 blocks that make up the book case, plus a half-dozen more to make up the area around the bookcase.  I'm planning on taking my time so I don't get burnt out on picking the fabrics for the spines, but for right now I'm so happy and excited with how it looks.  I can't wait to finish this one!!

Comments