Charm Pack Placemat Remix

Good morning!  Before we get to today's Quilt Block Summer post, I want to share a project I made for the Fat Quarter Shop's new Blog Remix series!  They are revamping old tutorials with new fabrics and I made this bright and colorful Charm Pack Placemat using the Foundation fabric from Windham Fabrics.


I'd highly recommend watching the YouTube video for this placemat all the way through - there's a new method for sewing 4-patches that I've never seen before and I was very impressed with how well it worked.

It's quilted in an all-over loop-de-loop pattern in my new favorite Aurifil color, Sea Biscuit (6722).  I got a tiny spool in one of my Sew Sampler boxes and it's the perfect off-white to blend with almost everything.  I've already used up the tiny spool and moved onto a regular-sized one.

My family doesn't use placemats, but we often serve our meals right out of pans and have a ton of potholders sitting on the table.  Our favorites are a set of oversized ones that I made a long time ago (they were practice pieces when I first got my free motion foot), but they are starting to show their age.  So for this project I used a layer of Insul-Bright inside of my placemat.  Voila!  Instant super-sized potholder!  I have a feeling that this will be our new favorite - and it's pretty enough to leave on the table between meals too!  I'll leave you with this silly picture of it sitting out on our outdoor table with my egg frying pan on it - anything bigger would cover up all the pretty colors.


Comments