New Year, New Projects

It's January and that means two things:
1. It's time to finish up all of those lingering projects that I started in 2018 and tidy up the sewing room a little bit.
2. New projects everywhere on Instagram!  Quilt Alongs (my weakness) galore!  New fabric from holiday sales sitting in piles everywhere!

How to choose, right?  First of all, we had the air ducts cleaned last week so I did end up tidying up most of my sewing room - didn't want the duct guys to mess up my intricate "floor storage" system!  I should have taken a picture of the clean floor, but it was messy again almost as soon as the guys had left and I ran the vacuum cleaner over the carpet quickly.  You can, however, see that my secondary sewing table is turning into quite the fabric pile.


The most important part of that picture, however, is my temperature quilt under the needle being quilted!  I'm doing freehand orange peels (taking advantage of that grid) and it's turning out beautifully!

But then, there's number two.  The quilt-alongs!!  And, just like that, three new projects started.  In my defense, however, two of them were on my 2019 goal list, so I don't feel too guilty.

South Bay Bella challenged us to sew curves for 15 minutes a day in January.  I jumped in and created all eight curve blocks that I need for the Paper Round quilt.  I bought the Quantum fabric in a Christmas sale and it was just begging to be used! The rest of the quilt is just a big strip set, so it should be finished soon (maybe my February goal?).


Kristy at Quiet Play launched her new Quiet Play Pattern Club and of course I signed up.  I love switching between traditional piecing and paper piecing just to keep things interesting.  I've made her patterns several times in the past, but always given them away; I'm looking forward to making something that I can keep for myself!  My goal for this quilt is scrappy rainbow stash-busting.  I'm tying it all together with this new Rainbow Blossom basic from Riley Blake.  I love it so much that I'm actually calling it my Rainbow Blossom quilt!


My last new start was an impulse start (sometimes those are the best kind!).  Angie at Gnome Angel asked if anyone was interested in an informal scrappy trip around the world quilt along.  I've looked at this block before and decided to join in because it uses up big pieces of scrap fabric - I might actually use up some of those partial fat quarters!  My plan is to make at least twenty of these blocks.


Thanks for checking in with me today!  I'm off to get some more sewing done!

Comments