Rockets In the Snow

Pen and Paper Patterns released four brand-new holiday patterns today and I am sharing my tester version of her Firecracker pattern (all are available as printed patterns too)!  This is technically a 4th of July quilt, but I used springy Easter colors and then photographed it on a morning with a light dusting of snow (it all melted about a half hour after my son helped me take this).  Crazy, yes, but somehow appropriate for this weird Twilight Zone life we are all living right now.


This quilt has a lot of fun fabrics in it - the rockets are made from some long-stashed original release fabrics: Grunge Dots by BasicGrey and ombre fabric by V and Co.  The fuses are made from Spectrastic and the explosions are a mix of Speckled from Ruby Star and metallics scraps.  Finally, the background is the fantastic Dreamweaver Spirograph fabric in teal - it just reminded me of fireworks in the sky.

I liked the Spirograph fabric so much that I used it on the front and the back.  I didn't quite have enough so I added a yellow accent stripe, which shows off my long-armer's work perfectly!


The binding is made from the rocket leftovers and cut so that there weren't any seams on the corners. You can see the pattern pretty clearly in the first photo - it's two strips of each of the ombre fabrics and a scrap of the grunge dots to separate them.  My favorite binding so far this year!



And that's my quilt!  I hope this gives you some inspiration for using non-traditional colors.  Congratulations to Lindsay on a beautiful set of patterns - can't wait to try some of the others!

Comments