2022 Personal Project

I'm kicking off my year by starting a personal project that I've long wanted to make: a postage stamp quilt!  This sounds like a modest goal, and it is, but I know that it's not the type of quilt I can make start to finish - I'll get bored cutting squares and need to do something a little more challenging.  But it also seems like a great leaders and enders project and I made the first block this morning:


My stash tends towards darker fabrics so it will be interesting to see where this ends up!  As this is a personal challenge, I'm setting up some loose rules for myself:
  • No black or low volume fabrics.  I want this to be colorful!
  • Use solids!  My solid scraps always get left out of scrappy projects and they are getting out of control.  This time they are being included!
  • Fabrics can be used more than once - no stressing that each square is unique.  I'm planning on having 3,575 squares in this quilt - there are going to be repeats!
  • The project ends on January 1, 2023.  Even if it's not as big as I had hoped, that's the end date.
That's it.  I'm hoping to end up with a full-size quilt at the end of the year.  Any time I'm cutting fabric, I'll cut my scraps into 2" squares and throw them in a box to be included in this quilt.  Any scrap that I come across that is less than 2" can be thrown in the trash (can be - if I really like it, I'll still keep it).  I'm hoping to clear out my scrap bins and keep them from growing too much!

I'm adding this to my 2022 goal blog post and will be sharing updates on my progress in my monthly recap posts.  I'm excited to see where this goes!


Comments

Vicki W said…
I finished my lifetime postage stamp quilt in 2021. I started it in 1998! You would think that it I would hate it but it's one of my all time favorite quilts and I'm glad I stuck with it. Don't ever let it stress you. Stay with it and enjoy the ride!
Allison said…
That's a great leader-ender project to work on through the year. I hope you will share your colourful blocks in your blog posts as the months go by. :-)