Just My Type

I'm a sucker for anything "old" - I loved hanging out at our local museum when I was a kid and I drag my kids to our local history museums as often as they'll let me.  I recently listened to a podcast about harvesting ice in the 1880s and none of it was new to me because I watched the ice harvesting video (with actual footage!) so many times as a kid that I practically had it memorized.  Needless to say, when Lindsay at Pen+Paper Patterns released her Just My Type pattern, I knew instantly that I was going to make it!


All of the letters are traditionally pieced, and the background of each is a different low-volume print, alternating between black and white and colorful.  The "j" looks overwhelmingly red in this photo, but it's more subtle in person.  I really wanted to make the typewriter a fun aqua color, but I also didn't want it to steal the show, so a light gray it is.  The background is a stashed out-of-print Tula Pink fabric (Seed Stitch) that I've had for several years - I bought it on impulse at my local quilt shop and it's been waiting patiently for the right project.


This close-up shot shows the background print better, along with the beautiful quilting done by Lauren at Tekstil Crave.  I've wanted to use the Wishbone pantograph for a long time and I'm glad I finally made a quilt that fits it!


I took a risk with the back, choosing a print of antique crocheted doilies. I decided that using text or typewriters on the back would be overkill, so I stuck with my theme of "old things I like".  Even when I sent it off to be quilted I wasn't completely sure I had made the right choice, but as I was binding the quilt in a solid black it grew on me and I have zero regrets!

This quilt is currently hanging out on my family room sofa and getting used almost daily.  I am hoping to finish two more quilt tops in 2022, but this is my last complete quilt finish!

Comments