Project Quilting 15.3: Inside Out

The third Project Quilting prompt was so much fun I jumped in in a BIG way!  That's right, I made a full-size quilt this week!

The challenge this week was "Inside Out" and I used a pre-existing pattern, Inside Out Star by Then Came June.  As soon as I saw the prompt, this pattern came to mind.  As I was scrolling through the project hashtag on Instagram, I knew immediately what fabrics I was going to use: a bundle of Liberty fabric and a few yards of a light blue chambray.

These fabrics have been living together in that teal Stitch Supply Co project bag for a long time.  I know I won the Liberty bundle in a giveaway, but I can't remember from who or why.  I bought the chambray shortly after to make something with it.  I can't recall what my initial plan was for them, but I'm thrilled that they are out of the bag and in this pretty quilt now!

Each of the Liberty pieces was about 13x9 so I resized the blocks to use as much of each fabric as possible.  All of the fabrics were directional (some more obviously than other) and my Almost No-Waste Flying Geese method was perfect for making sure I had one goose going in each direction.

Having such a limited time frame was nice in that I didn't have time to overthink the project.  I had the stack of fabrics and I just grabbed the top one each time I was ready to start a new one.  After I got used to the rhythm of making the stars I had a good two-blocks-at-a-time system going where I was always chain piecing.  Once the top was done, I finished it off with a light blue meander and a flannel back.  The binding is regular quilting cotton so this lap quilt has four different types of fabric in it!

I'm linking up my successful finish with the Project Quilting 15.3 challenge page.  Thanks for stopping by!

* If you are wondering about the star block in the picture of the fabric, that is a separate project that I was working on last week before the challenge was announced.  I took that picture for Instagram and then started on the Inside Out Stars quilt immediately after.  Didn't realize until I was starting this blog post that I never took a picture of the fabric by itself.  Oops.  If you like the star, you'll have to come back later to see the entire quilt!

Comments

Hi! What a great quilt and perfect for the inside out challenge. Please feel free to link up to Free Motion Mavericks if you get a chance. Take care.
PersimonDreams said…
WOW! this is incredible!!! just wow!
Danette said…
Fantastic! I'm sorry, I must have missed your post on this challenge. I do try to look at them all. Gorgeous finish and done in 1 week!