Kona Solids HST Challenge Quilt

This quilt has a mouthful of a name! I tend to either call my quilts by the pattern name or a descriptive element in them, and this time it just happens to be a long one.  My eye was drawn to the bold half-square triangle (HST) border and it was a challenge because I made the whole thing from the solids in my stash!

This is a free pattern from Robert Kaufman by Elise Lea, written to feature many, many different shades of Kona solids.  I have a fairly large solids stash of leftover solids from various projects, so I got out my Kona color card and went to work finding the best possible match to each one.  They definitely aren't all Konas, but they do play well together to make this beautiful quilt.

Oddly enough, for being the part of the quilt that attracted me the most, the border is what gave me the most trouble.  I pieced the quilt top entirely in the month of February, but it took me all of March to make the borders.  Unlike the main body, exact colors weren't given, just instructions to "piece the border from the scraps".  So I, naturally, completely overthought the entire thing.  Luckily, the end result is worth it!

I sent this quilt off to Lauren at Tekstil Crave and together we picked the Modern Meander panto to finish it off.  I love a good spiral and the square shapes of this one mimicked the quilt shapes perfectly.  The quilt back should look familiar - I went to my local quilt shop to pick out backings for both this and my baby Windsuit quilt at the same time and this purple plaid jumped out at me as the perfect backing for both.  I'm not sure I've ever done two in a row with the same back before, but here it works!  The binding is a plain black, keeping with the theme of solids.

This quilt was a lot of fun to make and definitely a scavenger hunt through all the different hidey holes where solids have been stashed in my sewing room.  Don't worry, there's still plenty of them left over for future projects!

==================

I sewed the first block for this quilt on January 31st (the peach one in the top center) and finished up the last tiny section of binding on May 1st (it was maybe 18 inches that I was just too tired to finish up the night before) so this qualifies as my favorite finish for May 2024 and I'm linking it up to share with Yvette at Quilting Jet Girl!

Comments

The quilting compliments the quilt beautifully and really lets those solids shine. The time you put into the borders was worth it because it's a fantastic frame to the quilt. Thank you for linking up with Favorite Finish!