Layer Cake Lily

I've had a red and black and white quilt on my mental "to make someday" list for a long time, and I am happy to say that I've finally made one!

This is the newest shortcut quilt from The Fat Quarter Shop, called Layer Cake Lily.  I made the large throw version with two layer cakes of Sable and Swan and Kona Poppy as my background.  I decided that I wanted all of the "petals" on the blocks to be dark colors, so I set some of the layer cake squares aside for other projects and used extra binding fabric as the petals in the four center blocks (I always overbuy the binding!).

I've been obsessed with flannel backs for a while now, but it's summer and I didn't want the warmth of that in my lap while I hand-bound the quilt.  So this quilt got a pieced back, and I have to say, it's one of my favorites!  The big black and white numbers are from a different fabric line but complement the fabrics on the front perfectly.  The stripes above and below the numbers are a black solid and the red is from the Spotted line by Zen Chic.  I quilted this quilt with an all-over meander in red thread and used a Spotted blender in black to finish it off.

As everyone in my house gets taller, these big throws are a big hit.  I had fun figuring out how I wanted to arrange all the fabrics and fussy cutting the vintage ads for the big squares to show off my favorites.


Layer Cake Lily is a free shortcut quilt pattern from The Fat Quarter Shop.  I'll leave you with this picture that my kids staged for me when I turned my back on my quilt set-up - it's a duck in a bear costume wearing workout headbands to match my quilt back.  Thanks for stopping by!


Comments