Oh Granny

Another summer is drawing to a close, and this year I actually finished my summer quilting project before it ended.  Meet Oh, Granny!

I wasn't actually looking for a new quilt to make, but I saw an in-progess Oh, Granny quilt on BlueSky and it was love at first sight.  I've been in love with simple square quilts since I made my postage stamp quilt and this fit the bill perfectly.

As with all my scrappy quilts, I had some self-imposed rules to keep the quilt cohesive:

  1. The third round of each block was made with solid fabrics.  I choose three cool colors and three warm colors and made five blocks with each color scheme.
  2. The color of the center square was determined by the color of the solid fabrics.
  3. The other two rings could be any colors, but these were the opposite (warm/cool) of the solid fabrics.
  4. The final layout is a checkerboard of cool and warm blocks (determined by the solid color), but no rules beyond that.
  5. The cornerstones are solid pink and teal because those colors were not used in any of the solid rings, but they were "allowed" in the blocks.

All of the fabric in the quilt top, including the white sashing fabric came from my stash (when I am buying fabric online and close to free shipping, I'll throw in a yard of white or black solid fabric to get over the threshold so I always have some on-hand; it comes in handy a lot!).  I did, however, splurge on this lovely quilt back fabric when I was visiting a friend's quilt shop.  I quilted it myself using Lori Kennedy's Dizzy Daisy FMQ motif.  This is one I used to use all the time, but haven't done recently.  I've been lazy the last couple of years and leaned heavily on meandering and straight-line quilting and want to get back into more "fun" motifs on my own.  For the binding, I used a dino footprint that I've been holding onto for a long time - the teal compliments the back and looks nice on the front.  Guess I'll just have to go shopping for a new "too nice to use" piece of fabric!

It's nice to have a simple piecing project to do any time of the year, but especially in the summer when I don't have a lot of sewing time.  Some of these blocks were used as leader and ender blocks when I was working on other projects and some of them were sewn as my main project when I just had a small chunk of time for myself.  I'm looking forward to discovering my next slow scrappy project!

=======

Free quilt pattern found here: Oh, Granny

Comments