Under the Sea

While finishing a quilt is always a happy day, finishing a quilt that has been sitting for a long time is an extra happy day! 

Under the Sea is a fully paper-pieced quilt.  The pattern was designed by Kristy at Quiet Play and I started it when she first released it as a monthly quilt along back in February 2023.  Over time, I fell behind - sometimes when I'm waiting for the next block of a QAL to be released I start something else and don't feel like immediately transitioning back when it finally arrives.

This year, however, I've been on a real "clean up my WIP list" kick so I decided that before I started any new QAL project I had to make a block for an old QAL quilt.  And because I like starting new projects, that was all I needed to get it done.  I had a set of solid colors that I used to make all of the blocks, and most of the print fabrics are from Kristy's fabric lines.  The background is Spotted by Zen Chic, but I can't recall which shade of blue I choose when I was starting out.  Nevertheless, having a set pool of fabric allowed me to customize each block without searching my entire stash for the perfect fit, and I enjoyed this method of selection for each new block.  I also simplified the final design, placing a single anchor in each corner.  The seashell block didn't make the cut here, but it did make an appearance in my Rainbow Blossom quilt!

I actually finished the last block for my 2019 Summer Sampler and this quilt in the same week.  I decided that this one would be the faster finish since the setting for the Summer Sampler quilt requires curved piecing, but I'm not sure that that's the case.  All of the edges of the blocks were on the bias due to the FPP so it was a challenge to get them to stay square as I assembled them.

I quilted Under the Sea in two parts.  First, I did wavy vertical lines with my walking foot roughly an inch and a half apart.  Next, I used my free-motion foot to add the bubbles, with an occasional sand dollar thrown in when I was feeling bored.  I've done pebbling in the past, but struggled with keeping the sizes consistent and this helped a lot.  The bubbles are nice and big and the quilt has a lovely drape.  The back is a print I bought at some point in the past - it was stored with the background fabric and the perfect size for my finished quilt so no decision making there.  I finished it off with a navy binding and this quilt is off the WIP list and into the pile of couch quilts!

This wasn't the oldest quilt on my WIP list or even the oldest quilt I blogged about this year, but it sure feels good to have it done.  How old is your oldest WIP?  Have you worked on it recently?  I'm going to work on a baby quilt next, then it's time to tackle that Summer Sampler at long last!

Comments