The Second Cobblestone Quilt

I hinted that I was starting another Cobblestone quilt and here it is! This time I borrowed my mother-in-law's 16.5 inch square ruler, which made the cutting go even faster. I also rotated all my fat quarters 90 degrees from the diagrams in the pattern, which led to larger left-over pieces.

Just like last time it was a fun puzzle to get all the pieces arranged so like colors and patterns didn't touch.  But once I got it done, it sewed up quickly:



The quilting was even faster - I just used a simple meander all over the top:


The back is a teal and navy herringbone that I picked up on sale.  It calms down the front just enough and the pink thread disappears nicely:


I made my binding and used my Binding Baby to guide it while I sewed it on. This is one of my favorite sewing notions! She reminds me of a giant Little People person, the fun kind we had in the 80s, not the weird ones they make now. When I'm not using her, she's a great shelf decoration. And I love that my son personalized her for me (it's remarkably easy to influence a 4-year-old's gift choice sometimes, especially when he gets to pick the colors and shapes!).


I cut out seven binding strips for this one and it turned out to be exactly enough!


Then I dragged my feet on hand-binding this one. A visit from my in-laws and coaching my son's robotics tournament took up a chunk of time, and I got hooked on cross-stitch again, but I did finally finish and I love the wild result!  We went for a nature walk with the kids and I felt like these racked canoes gave off the perfect complimentary 70s vibe to the quilt for the photo:


Now all it needs is a label, washing, and wrapping, and it's ready for gifting!

Comments