Modern Fans

My Modern Fans quilt is done!  If you scroll back through the blog (or just click that link) you'll see that I finished this top back in November.  I bought a back for it online and when it arrived it was all wrong.  Then I couldn't find anything else that I liked, so the quilt was just in a state of limbo.  Enter my guild challenging us to try new things in 2019!  I took a look at this quilt again, particularly the madras print that was my jumping-off point for the rest of the colors, including the green solid and orange grunge that just scream "Fall!  Pumpkin Patches!  Cool nights!" when you look at them, and decided to take the leap: my first flannel-backed quilt!


I wasn't sure what to expect with the flannel, but it didn't give me any trouble at all.  I did pre-wash it, something I normally don't do, but that was the only change I made.


One other thing that I've been working on is not over-quilting my quilts.  Since the fans are all wonky (for lack of a better word) I decided to do straight-line stitching without a guide, meaning my lines aren't straight.  Keeping the plaid back in mind, each column has multiple thread colors in the same order and the spaces between the lines are somewhat consistent (i.e. there is always about an inch between the first two colors, a half-inch after that, and then two-inches, etc).  I have to say, that this is the snuggliest, heaviest, warmest quilt I've made and it feels wonderful on my lap in the evenings - I started using it even before the binding was fully stitched down.  I have a feeling this one is going to be quite popular in our house and I see more flannel-backed quilts in my future!

I'm linking up my finish with Elm Street Quilts.

Comments

Patty said…
What a fun quilt! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.