Trinket Remix

My Trinket quilt is one of my favorite finishes ever, and today I am sharing a much simpler version with exactly the same vibe.  When I saw that Alison Glass' newest fabric line, Sun Print 2021, featured printed elements of the Trinket blocks, I knew I had to sew something with them.  The result is a fun new quilt that I call Trinket Remix!

I used the newest free pattern from The Fat Quarter Shop, Mini Cake Mints.  The pattern is a modern plaid and gave me a great opportunity to let the Night Trinket (my favorite fabric from this line) shine!  Of course I made a few modifications.  First, I added a row to the top and the left sides to make my quilt larger.  Next, I simplified the pattern by using a jelly roll instead of mini charm packs.  I was able to sew the long strips together and then cut them to the correct width, making the quilt go together quickly.  Finally, I bought yardage of the Night Trinket fabric and used it for all of the large squares.  You can see that there are two versions of the rainbow blocks in this close-up that shows off the quilting:


Trinket Remix was professionally long-armed using the Time Warp pantograph by Lauren at Tekstil Crave.  We used a dark gray thread that blends on both the bright rainbow squares and the dark Night Trinket squares.  It looks great up close but doesn't compete with the design when you are looking at the quilt as a whole from a distance.  The binding is a print from Alison's new line of basics, Cross Stitch in Mystery.

The back reinforces the rainbow with another print from this line, Seventy Six Bird & Bee.  I've got my signature stripe running down the middle, which was pieced entirely from leftover pieces of other Alison Glass quilt backs (this is my fourth all Alison Glass quilt!), including the main feature fabric from the original Trinket.  It always feels good to get rid of big chunks of leftover fabric in such a beautiful way.

Trinket Remix is a bit larger than the original Trinket quilt, but to be fair, piecing the 16-patch blocks was much easier than paper piecing 4 inch blocks.  I love that they both have a checkerboard pattern.  The larger size also makes it easier for two to snuggle under it at once - this quilt was a wedding gift to my cousin and her new husband!


I probably should have taken a picture of both Trinkets together, but it didn't occur to me until I sat down to write this blog post (after Remix had already been gifted), so we'll chalk that up as a missed opportunity. I've already received pictures of Trinket Remix being loved and that's what really makes me happy - seeing people use the quilts I've made for them!

Comments