Game Tracker Personal Project

It's another even year, and historically I like to do a year-long project in even years (see my Temperature Quilt and my Postage Stamp Quilt) - I joke that it takes me a year to recover!  Despite the jokes, these really do turn out to be some of my favorite quilts.  The biggest con is that they end up being out all year and take up room on my "design floor".  So this January, I decided I was going to make a quilt made up of 12 huge blocks and just sew them together at the end of the year.  I chose "Games" as my theme for January and I was off!

I quickly realized this was going to be sustainable.  While I had fun picking out the fabric for the various games, some of the games didn't have a good corresponding fabric (I can't believe I don't have any fabric with trains on it!).  I was also limited by my family - since I was focusing on in-person games and I don't like to take the time to set up a physical board game to play by myself sometimes there wasn't a game to log.  I didn't like feeling guilty for not playing a game because we did a puzzle or watched a movie or went to a band concert.  I also didn't expect everyone to fall in love with our new legacy game and want to play it quite so often!

So after one month, I decided to call it quits.  But it's not a failed experiment!  I really loved my block so I quilted it up and bound it and it has a happy home on my dresser in my room.  I had a 12" orphan block oversized "coaster" on there before and I wanted something just a little bit bigger (the coaster was moved to an end table and is still in use, it wasn't decommissioned!).  Seeing the bright colors every morning puts a smile on my face.  And if the finishing looks a little familiar, why yes, it is the leftover variegated thread and polkadot binding from the postage stamp quilt!

Each week on Instagram, I challenged my followers to guess what games I had played.  We have a large collection and it can be tough!  It took me forever to pull all the pieces out to take this photo, but I've been wanting to reorganize the game shelf for a while so it ended up being a win in the end! Shockingly, no Meeples made it into the final photo, even though some of the games played do have them.

Row One: Placeholder Block; Clue, Bohnanza, and Railroad Ink; Railroad Ink; Codenames and Scrabble; Ark Nova; Timelines; Kingdomino and Ark Nova

Row Two: Hollywood 1947; Monikers (2) and New York Zoo; No Game (Band Concert); Kingdom Builder; Just Desserts; Bohnanza, Sushi Go, and TransAmerica; Ticket to Ride Legacy

Row Three: Ticket to Ride Legacy; Ex-Libris; Rummikub (2); Puzzle; Tip the Cows (2); Dice Forge (two days in a row)

Row Four: Ticket to Ride Legacy and Rummikub (2); Miyabi and Ticket to Ride Legacy; Movie Night; Carcasonne and Harry Potter Duel; Dixit and Quacks of Quedlinburg; Speed Puzzle; Ticket to Ride Legacy

I'd love to hear what you think of my game choices or if you have a suggestion for one I should try based on what you see here.  Or if you are looking for a recommendation I can do that too!  I love talking about games almost as much as I love talking about quilting!

Comments