Project Quilting 15.5: Wearables

This challenge was not what I was expecting at all!  Sunday morning I was lazily thinking that I'd like to make something with curves this week, but when noon rolled around I saw the new challenge was Wearables.

I've made some wearable projects before, but it's not really something I enjoy.  Making identically-sized pieces that fit together and look good in 3D is just super stressful for me and sewing is supposed to be fun.  It's basically the same as hemming curtains or mending a pair of pants to me. I'm much happier looking at the beautiful creations of people who enjoy that sort of sewing.

So I made a scarf.

I am obsessed with flannel-backed quilts and every time I trim one before binding I think, "I should make a scarf with this!" before I throw the extra flannel in my flannel-scraps bag.  If this piece of pink flannel looks familiar, it's because it's from the back of my Project Quilting Week 3 Challenge project. When I trimmed the quilt, there was a perfectly-sized piece of flannel and batting left over and I thought "No, for real this time, make a scarf" even though spring came two months early this year and I haven't even worn a winter jacket since mid-January.  I left the flannel and batting pieces out to motivate me to actually sew the scarf then proceeded to pretend it wasn't there.

So when I saw this challenge I decided to go for it. I didn't look up an existing tutorial, I just started sewing.  First, I lined up the batting with one of the plaid lines and stitched the flannel down over it.  I folded the corners down at a 45 degree angle before stitched along the long side so there wouldn't be any raw edges (you can see that in the second image). 

Then, I hemmed the opposite long edge in the same way but without the batting under it (because I only wanted a single layer of batting in my final project).  I measured the width of the hemmed scarf and trimmed the batting so it ended exactly in the middle.  I pinned the batting to the flannel so it wouldn't shift around and sewed a stabilizing seam down the loose end of the batting so it wouldn't shift around.

Then I hemmed the short sides, folded the whole thing in half, and top-stitched around.  Was it a perfect match?  Nope!  Will I wear it if it ever gets cold here again?  Yup!  There are no exposed raw edges and I didn't have to turn it so that is a win in my book!

And that's my project for the week.  It's not what I expected to be sewing this week, but I'm glad for the motivation and to have this project finished.  I'm linking up my successful finish at the Project Quilting 15.5 Challenge page.  Thanks for stopping by!

Comments

Danice G said…
Your scarf looks very pretty. Adding batting inside for warmth was a great idea.
A perfect accessory for a cool morning! Congrats on your new scarf. What a great use of your PQ 15.3 backing off-cut!
PersimonDreams said…
this is gorgeous! I bet it's so warm!