2024 Monthly Recap: May

The last full month of the school year is always a little bittersweet, and this year is a big one: my youngest is finishing up elementary school, the middle is finishing middle school, and the oldest is getting his driver's license next week. That's a lot of big changes! Obviously at their ages they don't need me to supervise them closely, but they are a lot of fun and I like hanging out with them so I take advantage of as much time as they will give me. If you guessed that this means I was trying to wrap things up before the summer you'd be wrong: I started three quilts (and finished one) and two cross-stitch projects. Now I have lots of fun things to work on!

Quilt Tally
WIP List at beginning of month: 10
WIP List at end of month: 12
Untouched in 2024: 4
Active QAL Projects: 2

Quilts Finished
Baby Sloth Quilt (May 2024) - Blog post will be published after this is gifted!

Quilts Started
Fado Road - My newest personal project now that the Solids HST quilt is done. Fun fact: this is the first project I'm working on this year where none of the fabric has come from my stash! I bought the pattern and the fabric a few months ago and I'm glad I finally made the time to cut into it. I'm finished with half of the main body, then there is a top and bottom border to make.


Lemon Blossom Mystery Quilt - It's been a long time since I've done a mystery quilt, but when I heard about this one from a friend I decided to join in. I had been thinking that it's been a long time since I've played with curves and the fact that this quilt includes them was too tempting to resist! These blocks have since been trimmed and I am done with seven of the sixteen sets required.


Quilt Progress (3 WIPs touched)
MMQG Sewing (Test Block Sampler and The Rest of the Quilt Back) - Another paper-pieced row this month! It's not my intention to make the entire quilt paper-pieced, but the theme this month was "tilted squares" and I just didn't see a way to make a tilted churn dash without a little FPP. These blocks are larger than the blocks in the first two rows so at least I didn't need to make as many of them! The white print is the back of Rainbow Zephyr and the blue Spotted is from my Alice in Wonderland 100 Days quilt.


Blocks made for my memory scrap quilt.

Miscellaneous Accomplishments
It was a pillowcase kind of month! I served as one of the collection points for our guild's quilt exhibit at the Minnesota Quilt Show next month and all the quilts I gathered were in pillowcases. I  didn't know this was a thing, but of course I had to sew up a special new one for my quilts. I also made three new Bluey pillowcases for us to use at home - Chattermax practically demanded it!


Speaking of the Minnesota Quilt Show, I'm very excited to go and see my quilts hanging and speak on my first official panel! My print patterns arrived yesterday and I just have to slip them in their little baggies and they will be ready to go. I did, however, find an error in the cutting instructions for the king-sized Zephyr.  If you've made a king-sized Zephyr and were frustrated by that, I apologize. If you have the pattern and want the updated version, please contact me and I'll send you the corrected PDF. If you want a print version and can't attend the quilt show, stay tuned!

Comments