2023 Monthly Recap: June

June was a slow month for sewing.  The last week of school is always so stressful - do I enjoy things to enjoy the last few quiet days by myself or do I scramble to finish all the things that are easier to do when the kids are out of the house?  As always, I did a little of both, so mostly decluttering and biking.  Once the kids were home, we spent a lot of time doing fun stuff, including my first camping trip in about seven years.  It went much better than the last one, and when we got home I was finally eager to sew again!  We are finally settling into our summer rhythm and I'm finding a balance again.  So!  A look at what I did accomplish:

Quilt Tally
WIP List at beginning of month: 13
WIP List at end of month: 12
Untouched in 2023: 4
Active QAL Projects: 2

Quilts Finished
Sew Place Like Home (September 2022)

Quilts Started
None!

Quilt Progress (4 WIPs touched)
Hello, Spring! - Once I got all of the stems and leaves done, the flowers and the ladybugs came together quickly.  I ordered a flannel back for this one and it should be finished by the end of next month.


Test Block Sampler - Another set of blocks made up for the next round of this medallion quilt.  Unfortunately, my plan to use up my bin of Lori Holt fabrics was slightly thwarted by the need to have bigger pieces than my pieces of her fabric can provide.  But I still learned a few things while making these, which is the point of putting this together!


Scrap Cabinet - Just a couple of these blocks made, mostly with the small scraps leftover from my other sewing projects.  I saved them from ever going into the scrap cabinet!


Blocks made for my leaders and enders quilt.

Miscellaneous Accomplishments
I had plans to make several different small projects this month, but I just wasn't motivated to sew very much.  So aside from some cross-stitching on the couch and teaching my son how to drive, I don't have anything to report in this category.

A quick look at how the first half of 2023 has gone for me.

First, the overall quilty statistics:  My eternal WIP list is at -1 from the beginning of the year.  I've started nine projects and finished eight.  Most of these were carry-overs from last year, but the oldest was from 2019.

Second, a look at the three major goals I had for myself this year.
1. Write three new patterns.  I published the Fair Day pattern in March and I am working on the final draft of my second pattern.  Things move a little slower quilt-wise in the summer time, but I am hoping to have it published by the beginning of September.  This puts me on track to publish three this year!


2. Finish all my cross-stitch projects.  I made this a priority in April and made the five smallest ones into mini quilts.  I still have four larger pieces to go, two of which are Halloween-themed.  I'm planning on making September into another cross-stitch finishing month so I can display these during the correct season this year!  I also finished another mini cross-stitch piece after I made these five and immediately turned it into a mini quilt, so that is a step in the right direction!


3. Finish existing quilt-along projects.  My achilles heel!  I've finished three, but also started three so I am basically still in the same spot I was six months ago.


Rainbow Blossom

Started January 2019
Finished January 2023

Black and White Kinship

Started July 2022
Finished May 2023

Sew Place Like Home

Started September 2022
Finished June 2023

Summer Sampler 2019

Started May 2019
Status: 3 blocks to go

Mother

Started February 2021
Status: 2 blocks to go

Under the Sea

Started February 2023
Status: 6 blocks to go

In addition to the six quilts referenced here, I have the Hello Spring quilt top finished (pictured above) and I am planning on starting the 2023 100 Days quilt-along tomorrow.  If I can keep from starting any more quilt-alongs I should be in good shape to finish most of these up!

Overall, I feel like I'm on track with my goals for the year.  None of them are done yet, but they are all moving in the right direction.  I'm linking up my goals with Yvonne at Quilting Jet Girl.

Comments

Melanie said…
Your Hello Spring quilt top looks very fun! Good luck with finishing it. Also on accomplishing more of your goals while also enjoying summer :) xo
I think you are doing great on your goals for the year. Publishing patterns is a lot of work, so congratulations for doing so well with that goal. I hope that the quarterly check in helps let you know if it's time to reevaluate any goals and/or keep you excited about making progress on the ones you previously set.