2018 Mid-Year Review

I was scrolling Instagram earlier this week and somehow ended up on Yvonne from Quilting JetGirl's page.  Here I found a link to this post which helped me fix my comment problems.  My apologizes if you've recently left a comment and I didn't reply to you.  I do appreciate all the comments that I get!!  Second, Yvonne is also hosting a link-up to review our yearly goals.  I've been faithfully updating my 2018 Quilt Goals, but I doubt anyone is checking up on my regularly so I decided to play along with this post.

I started the year with a very ambitious list of twelve quilts, all of them in various stages of completion.  The idea was to finish one quilt per month.  I started off strong, finishing one quilt each in January, February, and April.

January - I-Spy Baby Quilt

February - Magnolia Mystery Quilt

April - Release the Kraken

In May, I tackled one of the oldest projects on my list, which just needed to be quilted and bound.  I started to quilt it, but my enthusiasm petered out.  I was busy with year-end stuff at my kids' schools and when I had time to sew, I didn't feel like quilting this.  So it's currently sitting on my sewing room floor, starting at me everytime I walk into the room.  It only needs the red section and the gray and purple arch quilted so I still have hope that the guilt will kick in and this will get done yet this year.

May - My Small World - Almost Quilted

Coincidentally, I also added a few new projects to my goal list in May.  The 2018 Summer Sampler, Ricochet Quilt, Trinket Quilt, and 100Days100Blocks2018 were begging to be made.  I didn't just want to add them to my "someday" list, because, let's face it, a lot of projects just go there to die.  So I dreamed up Quilt Block Summer, bought a bunch of fabric, and expanded my goal list from twelve to sixteen.

Top Row of My Trinket Quilt

Basically, I'm focusing on only making quilt blocks this summer, jumping around a lot each week, trying to avoid My Small World-type burnout.  I rolled my Harry Potter bookcase quilt into this initiative too - I love this project but making too many blocks in a row drives me crazy.  I need to mix up paper piecing and traditional piecing based on my mood.

Three Bookcase Shelves

There are also three quilts that have had minimal progress made on them.  I don't have any pictures of progress on my Basic Math Scrap Quilt, but as I finish projects I am still faithfully making blocks to add to it.  I believe I only need eight more!  I'm also working on pieced blocks for my Sudoku quilt and my Hedgehogs of Literature quilt.

Katnis from the Hunger Games

So, in summary, my goal list for the year has grown to sixteen quilts.  Three of them are finished and nine of them have had progress made on them.  That leaves four of them untouched.  My goal for the rest of the year is to have touched every single quilt on that list.  There's two more months of summer vacation and then all three of my kids will be in elementary school for the first time so I have high hopes to exercise daily, get through my Netflix queue, and finish nine more quilts from this list.  That will give me a set of twelve finishes from my 2018 monthly goal list!

Comments

It sounds like you have a great plan in place to help with single project burnout. I hope that you can get back and enjoy finishing up your Small World Quilt. Thanks for linking up!
Lisa J. said…
Your quilts are all really beautiful. It's a big list and I'm rooting for you although you don't plan to finish them all. I understand project burnout. That tends to happen to me also especially if I try to push to get too much done too soon. I love your version of my small world. It's on my list of someday quilts.
Kate said…
You've got some gorgeous finishes so far this year. Your Magnolia Mystery is stunning, I love your bold color palette. Good luck with the rest of your goals this year.