Release the Kraken - Finished!

Quilt Block Summer is on hiatus this week due to our family vacation, but I was able to take photos of my finished Release the Kraken quilt before we left!  Of course the day we went it was super windy, but I think I still got a couple of good shots.

Piecing the back was almost as much work as the front.  I had bought a length of the pink boats from Alison Glass's Diving Board collection, but when I unfolded it, I didn't like how perfectly the boats lined up. I ended up cutting it into strips and off-setting everything and I'm much happier with it!  The striped fabric in the middle is a half-yard cut that I've had for a long time - the selvage says it's copyright 2014.


I quilted this one in matching colors, with lots of googling to see how things looked in reality to get ideas.  Here are some close-ups in the order that I quilted them.  The background is just swirls - my favorite free-motion quilting design!








I used my new Kona Color Card to audition colors for the binding.  I was originally leaning towards a dark color, but after playing around for a while I decided I liked the subtle contrast of Kona Plum better.


And here she is!  I loved this quilt from the moment I first saw the pattern and I'm so happy to have a version of it to keep for myself!


Comments