Release the Kraken Top Complete!

As I've mentioned before, one of the things I like to do at the beginning of each year is finish up all the quilts from the previous year's quilt alongs.  I love doing quilt alongs, but since they are done in bits and pieces, sometimes I don't get to the final assembly as quickly as I do with a linear quilt project.

Enter the Release the Kraken quilt top.  I mostly kept up with the blocks in the correct month, but there were bonus patterns released each month as well.  For example, in July I made the optional crescent moon pattern instead of the log cabin moon that was in the original design.  No big deal, except that I wanted to make one of my pinwheel star blocks fit inside of the crescent.  So at the end of July I had this, which was actually two pieces.


And then the poor thing just sat.  The pinwheel star wasn't released until December, when I was busy doing my Christmas sewing (ahem, Dwight B Plaid) so I didn't get around to sewing it right away.  I finished assembling the bottom of the quilt in January, but it wasn't until this week that I made the pinwheel stars and yesterday that I finally put that poor moon all the way together:


And once that was done, it was fast and easy to sash up the remaining pinwheels and put together the entire quilt top.


My kids are on spring break next week and I plan on starting to quilt this once they go back to school.  I've got most of it planned out in my head - there's going to be lots of color changes and fun stuff happening!  I can't wait to get started!

Comments

Danice G said…
What a unique and pretty quilt top pattern. Looking forward to seeing it all quilted.
Patty said…
I love your quilt - fantastic job! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.
Becca said…
That's really cool with the star placement and the moon! Great job! And those mermaids...wow!
Karen's Korner said…
The star placement is perfect near the moon. A pretty quilt.