Showing posts from September, 2017

Gypsy Wife Weeks 9 and 10

Two more blocks made in my Gypsy Wife quilt and I am officially ahead!  These blocks came almost entirely from my scrap bin, which was one of my goals for this quilt that I don't always pay attention to. First, I made next week's Half Square Triangle Block, block 10.  The light gray fabric is from the back of my Moda Building Blocks quilt and I've been looking and looking for the perfect project to use it on.  When I saw it sitting in the scrap bin with this orangy print I knew it was the right match!  The pattern actually calls for two of these blocks, but because of the giant sloth mine will have in the middle I only need one. Next, I went a little crazy with Week 9's Nurse's Cross Block.  I started with that center square as a scrap from another project I was working on and built off of it for the rest of it.  I really like the two different fabrics making up the "X" in the center.  The purple and yellow swirl fabric is also from the back of a qu

Football Quilt Like Teddy's

Way back in April 2015, my youngest informed me that his teddy bear needed a football quilt.  I'm always up for a mini quilt and Molli Sparkles had recently posted a football block that I wanted to try so I jumped right in.  It turned out adorable and his teddy bear loved it! Fast-forward two-ish years to when he informed me that he needed a "football quilt like Teddy's".  This sounded like a fun challenge to me, so off we went.  We finished the second block today, which looks quite similar to the original one in style but varies quite a bit in fabric selection (his favorite part!). Here they are together.  It's a pretty good match! This is going to be a pretty simple big block quilt.  I am still hopeful that we can finish it before the football season ends, it just depends on how much time he's willing to spend sewing with me. All of the blocks are being sewn with him in my lap.  The first block is even bigger and comes from Lori Holt'

Gypsy Wife Week 8

Week 8 is Puss in the Corner and the first week where two blocks are required.  I had fun changing the fabric placement in them to make them appear to be different patterns: The alligator block looks like a chunky little churn dash, one of my favorite blocks!  The surfers' colors follow the placement from the pattern - don't they look like they are getting ready to go catch a wave?  I'm getting antsy to start piecing this together; I might even finish it ahead of schedule!

Gypsy Wife Catch-Up: Blocks 5, 6, 7

I've been busy with a project with a deadline and fell behind on my blocks.  But, I'm done now and back to making blocks for my individual quilt-alongs!  Here are the next three blocks for the Gypsy Wife Quilt: Block 5: Crazy Anne Block 6: Star Block Block 7: Indian Hatchet I even went a little above and beyond - I got out my coloring sheet and figured out how the blocks I've made already will fit together with the addition of the sloth.  Then I headed to my local quilt shop to pick out a white to stripe with the black I'm using from my stash (shown below the sloth) and even worked ahead on a few blocks.  I'm very excited to see this all come together - I can't wait to start assembling it!

Range Quilt

Another month, another quilt!  The finish of this quilt crept over into September, but only hand-stitching the final binding and the photographing was done in September so I'm still going to call that a win.  The Range quilt was one I knew I had to make as soon as I saw the pattern by Modern Handcraft ! As far as things go, this quilt was pretty speedy.  I bought the pattern in November of last year, then spent a bunch of time determining the color spectrum I wanted to use in April of this year and bought the fabric (all Kona solids).  My goal was to make it look like a mountain sunset. Then I spent two evenings in August stitching it up.  I decided to take the time to do the math and cut each color wedge as a single piece instead of doing the smaller wedges and rectangles the pattern called for and I'm happy with the result - fewer seam lines and a faster sew.  I glued my template to the cardboard from a cereal box and then used my add-a-quarter ruler to cut a straigh