Quilt Block Summer Kickoff!

My Quilt Block Summer has begun!  I'm not going to lie - it was a bit of a rush starting four new quilts in a single week!  As of today, I'm done with preschool runs forever and I've got one kid on summer vacation, so it feels like summer here.  I'm hoping to keep these posts short and sweet and full of pictures, but for week one I'm going to ramble a little bit and explain each of the projects.

My temperature quilt is a daily quilt that I've been working on since January to track the temperatures in our city (even if we are out of town, I use our home temperature in the quilt).  I'm 136 days in and still loving it!  I was thrilled to find an orange floral fabric in my stash to represent Mother's Day - the random stash builders from my Sew Sampler box have helped me so many times:



This is a quilt that has been on my "to-make" list for a long time.  With the exception of the background fabric and the bookcase fabric, it is 100% scrappy from my stash.  The last block (number 12 of 25) I made was a set of the Standard Book of Spells.  I ended up creating my own block that is slightly wider than the ten inches that the standard blocks are, and I love how beautifully rainbow these books are:



2018 Summer Sampler
I really enjoyed making the 2016 Summer Sampler and when I heard that this year's version was travel-inspired, I immediately signed up, sight unseen.  Once the image of the pattern was finally released, I knew I had made the right decision.  I was drawn to the cool color layout of the pattern and immediately started digging through my stash to see what I could find.  I ended up with four fabrics from my stash and four that I picked up on my local shop hop.  Block one was released this week and showcases all of my fabrics in their correct ombre order, perfect to use as a reference if I forget how I wanted them to go:



Ricochet Quilt
This is a pattern that I got in my Cotton+Steel subscription box.  It's time to use some of those fat quarters that they keep sending me!  I've been drooling over this background fabric online forever (Cotton+Steel Basics Jelly Bracelet Sprinkle) and it does not disappoint in person!  I decided to pair it with blue and turquoise fat quarters - I need twelve of these to finish the quilt, which shouldn't be a problem.  I changed the construction of the block slightly and the whole thing came together quickly.  I didn't make much of an effort to fussy-cut the birds - they were just spaced well for the size of the block I was making.



Trinket Quilt
This is one of Alison Glass's brand new patterns!  I bought the pattern moments after seeing it on Instagram and Alison herself commented that she thinks I'm the first person she's seen making this pattern! I'm using her new Insignia fabric in Asphalt for the neutral squares and my extensive collection of Alison Glass scraps for the colored bits.  I'm hoping to make one nine-patch for this each week.



This is another repeat quilt - I enjoyed participating in this quilt-along the first time Angie hosted it and I've got some new ideas for what I want to do this time around.  I am going to make three versions of this quilt: two scrappy baby quilts, one blue and one green; and a panda version.  Except for the panda fabric I bought, these are going to be completely scrappy.  This doesn't start until July 7th, so I'll be settled into summer before it starts.  Here's a link to the animal and solid version I made originally and here's a link to the details about this quilt-along.

It feels good to cut into my new fabric immediately instead of putting it all off for "someday" (I've got several of those projects too - maybe that will be my fall goal).  I'd love to have you join me in my Quilt Block Summer on Instagram - use the hashtag #quiltblocksummer so I can see what you are making!  Click here to see all of my Quilt Block Summer posts.

Comments