Halloween Tote Bag Miracle

It was one of those months where I know that I sewed, but can't really pin down what I worked on.  I finished a secret sewing project that I can't share yet as well as my Modern Fans test block pillow.  I also got the first half of my Modern Fans quilt put together - look for a post on that soon!  But I realized on Saturday that I'd been neglecting my October monthly goal - making a tote bag to bring on my retreat tomorrow!  So I kicked my butt into gear and started piecing panels together; this took much longer than I expected.  Everything is improv pieced and the only rule I had was "use fabric I love".  On the "A" side I built everything around my lightning bolt block and on the "B" side I started with the giant polka dots that are always too big to use, which is the spirit of this tote bag - using big motifs!


I decided to go with straight-line quilting, but do diagonal lines.  Mine are slightly organic, but it doesn't bother me.  I got one panel quilted last night and started the second before the kids got up today.  I was able to finish that and get the exterior put together once they were on the bus.  It was only my second time using vinyl, but it went smoothly and I like the effect.


Unfortunately, I had to take a break to do non-sewing grown-up things, but I was able to sneak in a little more time before the kids got off the bus.  The black straps got covered with a green grunge dot fabric and the round swirly fabric was used for the lining.  I only made one small modification to the bag pattern - I added a zippered pocket to the interior.  This is going to be my show-and-tell bag for my quilt guild meetings and I often tuck some hand sewing in to work on during the meetings.  The zippered pocket can hold my supplies so I'm not searching for a floating pouch.


By the time the first trick-or-treater knocked on our door, I had the lining fully constructed and just needed to attach it to the main bag, do the top-stitching, and close up my turning hole.  I posted this celebratory picture to my Instagram once all the festivities were done and I got a minute to run back to the sewing room and finish it up.  That looks like a hole in the strap, but it's actually just a super-distressed looking spot on the grunge with a weird filter.


So if you're reading this on Wednesday night, that's all you get too!  I've packed it up with stuff for my retreat and I'm hoping to find a scenic place to take photos of it.  UPDATE: The retreat was right on the Mississippi River so my bag and I went for a walk there and my bag and I had fun taking photos.  Here are two of my favorites showing off each side.



I'm linking up my last-minute finish at Elm Street Quilts!

Comments

Patty said…
Great bag! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.