Text Flags Quilt

Today I'm sharing the newest shortcut quilt by The Fat Quarter Shop: Jolly Bar Meringue!  I started off with a jolly bar from a line I love, Modern Background Colorbox by Zen Chic.  I then auditioned several fabrics for the background, but ultimately decided on the very cool Prime Cipher fabric from the Metropolis collection by BasicGrey.


The Cipher fabric gives a nice pop to the quilt since the Colorbox fabrics are low-volume.  The subtle text gives it a hint of movement without being overwhelming.


This is the perfect short-cut quilt: each block only has four fabric pieces and once you get used to sewing half-rectangle rectangles they come together very quickly!  Then it's just a matter of sewing the blocks together and you get magic like this:


A perfectly timed gust of wind on a beautiful fall morning!  (Can you tell this quilt has been finished for a while?)

My last attempt at grid quilting was not very successful - too many pintucks.  This time I used a lot more patience and pins and got my foundation lines in cleanly so I didn't have those problems.  Each square is two inches by two inches which is plenty for the large size of the blocks in this quilt.

The back is a piece of Newsprint fabric by Carrie Bloomston that I've had in my stash forever - I'm glad I was finally able to use it!  I debated using a print for the binding, but ultimately decided on a solid gray so that it wasn't drawing attention away from the front.  That's also from my stash so I'm not sure what color or brand it actually is.


I'll leave you with one more picture of the front of my quilt, which I've named "Text Flags" because all the fabrics read as "texty" to me and the triangles look like little flags. Have a great week!


Comments

The pattern has such great movement. And great drama for four pieces oer block! I love text fabric. A perfect choice for the backing. Thank you for linking up to Show Me Something with Triangles.
Beautiful fabrics! Love the pattern you choose too