Star Light, Star Bright

My first finish for 2019 is the newest quilt from The Fat Quarter Shop, Starling!  For this quilt, I used one of the new Color Master boxes from Art Gallery Fabrics.  I decided to take the name of the quilt pattern literally and use the gold box, especially after I fell in love with this Connect the Stars fabric for the background!


One thing to note is that the boxes are random, so the fat quarters you see in the picture are not necessarily the ones you are going to get (mine don't match the product listing!).  It's a fun way to build a scrappy collection.

Two of the fat quarters had a bit more white in them, so those got pieced together into strips and used on the back of the quilt.  They look much better there than they would have chopped up on the front.  You may also notice that I couldn't resist piecing a couple of tiny moons into the center block of my quilt - that giant square was just begging to be spiced up a tiny bit!


This was the second quilt I got to quilt on my new sewing machine and I decided to have fun with it!  My old machine did not do well with anything that involved more than a gentle curve so it was a blast to do something more intricate again.  The white sections are quilted in a spiral pattern, the yellows are straight-line quilted, and the black is done in a style I'm calling "casually outline all the constellations in the fabric."  Maybe someday I'll make the leap to graffiti quilting, but I'm not quite there yet.


Good news for you: Fat Quarter Shop is giving away a Color Master box to one lucky quilter!  If you try out this new pattern before Thursday, February 7th at 11:59PM CST, post your progress on Instagram using the hashtags #starlingquilt and #AGFColorMaster.  Two random photos will be chosen to win a Color Master Fat Quarter Box or Bundle on Friday, February 8th.  Good luck!


Comments