Sleigh Bell Sampler

Merry Christmas Eve! Today I am sharing a quilt three years in the making: the Sleigh Bell Sampler!


My son and I started piecing this together in June of 2017, just after his 9th birthday.  He picked all the fabrics and did all the piecing with me at his side.  I was in charge of cutting and ironing.  The three main fabrics were purchased, but the rest is scrappy from my stash.  He also determined the final layout of the quilt.

We worked on this on and off over the course of two years and at the end of summer 2018 all the blocks were pieced and put together with 2 of the 6 borders attached, and all of the pieced border elements made.  And then it sat.  As part of the sewing room cleaning I was doing earlier this year, I pulled it out in early August 2019 and challenged him to finish sewing it with me before he started the sixth grade.  A little bribery was involved, but we got it done!  After a trip to the fabric store to choose a backing, we sent it out to be quilted with white snowflakes.


I did the binding for him in the snowflake print and it was done.  I brought it to my quilt guild meeting to show it off, then put it over him when I got home - he was very excited in the morning!  This is my final finish of 2019 and I'm happy to share it with him!

Comments