Forgotten Fat Quarter Quilt-Along

Introducing the Forgotten Fat Quarter quilt!  I am playing along with Irene from Sugaridoo on a monthly "row along" quilt hosted on the Bernina blog.  At the end of each month she releases a new row in a single rainbow color for us to make.  Her quilt is all solids but I decided that I am going to choose a "forgotten fat quarter" and a left-over piece of solid fabric from my stash to make each row.  We're not making the rows in order so I have no idea if the end result will be cohesive or not, but I'm having fun busting my stash and putting it together.



Month one (row 5) featured a medium orange and hashtag blocks, which reminded me of the hashtag fat quarters I had in two slightly different color ways.  I don't remember when I bought them or why, which gave me the idea for the "forgotten fat quarter" part of my quilt.  In each row I will take a fat quarter that's been sitting around forever and incorporate it into my quilt.  I don't think they will all be this literal, but it was a good start.  I had just enough fabric in my two fat quarters to finish the block, which was great for stash-busting; there wasn't even anything left for the scrap bin!

Month two (row one) is light pink and triangles.  I never used these gray dots because I didn't like how they varied in size in a row formation, but now that they are cut up and sewed into the row, it doesn't really seem to matter.  I used up every scrap of the pink and white fabrics for this row and it turned out a little short - I'll deal with making it fit when I see how the other rows turn out.  The hashtag row has a border above and below it so I'll probably do something similar when I sew the rows together.

And I'm all caught up!  I really like that the rows aren't the same height, I feel like it gives the quilt some extra interest.  Looking forward to seeing what the end of the month brings!

Comments