Wake Me Up, Watermelon Quilt

My Wake Me Up, Watermelon quilt is finished!  In a pre-COVID world, I totally would have brought it into Costco and thrown it over all the giant watermelon pallets for that perfect picture, but instead I brought one watermelon home and staged this cute picture.


I don't think my family has ever been so excited for me to finish binding a quilt - I don't go grocery shopping all that often anymore so I bought the watermelon a few days before I was ready to take the pictures (it was good motivation!).  We also found out it's a lot harder than you'd think to get that perfect "bite picture".


This quilt follows the Wake Me Up pattern, and was made during a quilt-along in April.  Except for piecing one of the white squares (I didn't have enough of the bear fabric), I faithfully followed the pattern.  I had to buy two more pink fabrics to fit my color scheme, but other than that it was completely from stash!


I experimented a little with this one and used a wool batting instead of my normal 80/20 blend.  I read that that was perfect for a summer quilt and this is definitely a summer quilt.  So far so good - I didn't have any issues with it while I was quilting and the finished quilt looks no different from any other quilt - I hope I don't accidentally machine-wash it!  I can't tell if it's any cooler than one of my regular quilts - it's so hot here that I was binding with as little as possible on my lap!  I also had fun dressing up my regular striped back.


Distance learning ends tomorrow, so the timing on this is perfect.  Let summer begin!

Comments

RobinaS said…
Love the colours in your quilt! On the wool batting, I use this a lot in my quilts. My washing machine has a wool wash cycle and I have washed my wool quilts using that and a wool wash detergent. I've always line dried my quilts, so I've never tried putting one in a tumble drier. I assume the combination of heat and agitation would be a disaster. Enjoy sleeping under your quilt.
Bernie Kringel said…
Super cute interpretation of a summery watermelon. Love your photos and I am sure the kids were happy to help you work on that perfect bite picture!!
Sharon said…
Great quilt! I love black and white with everything, and your pink and green choices are wonderful :o)