Sunshine Quilt

Today I am sharing my Sunshine Quilt.  A quilt so summery that it is wearing flip flops for its official blog picture!


The blocks in this quilt were made by others as part of my very first quilt block swap.  I love thinking that there are sixteen other quilts floating around out there with quilt blocks that I made in them.  I used a traditional setting but made it scrappy: the cornerstones are just regular scrappy yellows but the sashing is from my "problem" black fabrics (those that always too black or too white for whatever I'm doing).  In this quilt, everything fits together perfectly!

The back continues the scrappy fun.  I've got off-cuts from two other quilt backs, two pieces of previously unused fabric with dates as old as 2013 on the selvedge, and some mystery pieces.  So a little bit of everything in colors that match the front.


I finished off the quilt in a scrappy manner too.  The quilting is a simple meander, but I used a mini spool of pale yellow (Aurifil 2130) that I found recently while cleaning my sewing room.  It's subtle, but more fun than plain white.  The binding is a bright orange!  It was fun to add some contrast right at the end.  I ended up turning my original test block into a matching mini quilt but gave it a different fun binding - teal!  Which one do you think is better?


Block Swap: Organized by Kerry

Comments