Camp Stars

 Today I am happy to announce the release of Camp Stars, the newest BluePip Designs pattern!


This modern quilt finishes at a generous 64"x80".  Mine is backed in flannel and quilted very lightly (unusual for me, I know!) and already in high demand as a new favorite at our house.  

The working title for this quilt was "Man Stripes" - my husband asked for something that was a little simpler than the quilts I normally make.  He also wanted it to feature orange, his favorite color.  I've only backed one quilt in flannel before and he loves that one, but it's too small to cover him so he requested flannel as well.  The final result is definitely masculine and rugged but also has some elements that make it fun to put together.

The curves in this pattern make it a little challenging, but once you've pieced those together the rest is just a big strip quilt and it goes together quickly and easily!  The pattern includes quilting instructions as well as piecing instructions.

I honestly don't know why I don't back more quilts in flannel.  I normally use clamps and my kitchen island to pin baste my quilts (the only upside to having the original Formica countertops), but the flannel velcroed itself to my carpet when I was measuring the batting out so I took a chance and basted it on the floor.  The final result?  No tucks or shifting, just a perfectly flat back.  That's a huge plus for flannel!  Even more so when you consider how large this quilt is - I would have had to reposition it at least six times on my not-so-big island!

My 12-year-old son played photographer for this quilt photo shoot.  He likes to take silly behind-the-scenes photos and I actually really like this one!  It's also better than any of our staged shots of the back of the quilt.  The simple green and black check adds to the masculine feel nicely.

Honestly, the quilt might be a little too popular - it's in constant use by somebody every single night as the temperatures drop.  I guess I need to make more flannel-backed quilts!

Because of the curves, I rate this pattern as intermediate or adventurous beginner, but once you have all the curves put together, the rest of the quilt comes together very quickly.  Plenty of time to sew one up before the holiday season!  Camp Stars is available now!

--------------------------------

EDIT: I promise I didn't plan this, but Sarah has a link-up for projects with stripes on her blog this month!  Go check it out!

EDIT 2: Not only do I love this quilt, my whole family loves it too.  My husband has stopped the children from sneaking it off to their rooms on several occasions and every time I go into the family room at least one person is curled up under it.  Because of that, I'm linking up the finish as my favorite finish of November (maybe the year!) at Meadow Mist Designs!

Comments

Kathy E. said…
Karin, this is such a cool design! I've found it rather difficult to find a good "manly" quilt design, but this one really gives off the guy-vibe. But with other fabrics and colors, it could be girly, too! I'm one of those quilters who really enjoy sewing curves. The curved sections give this quilt a great touch!
Fun! In my mind, I'm going to call this one Man Stripes. : ) I love that your husband put in a request for a quilt!
What a great bold, graphic design! The orange is certainly the star of the quilt. And it would be an interesting variation for someone to make it with HSTs in place of the curved corners. Thank you for linking up to Show Me Something with Stripes!