Shadow Pinwheel Pillow


Happy Black Friday!  I just got my Chalk Stars quilt back from the quilters and put the binding on - I can't wait to share it with you this spring!  In the meantime, I was playing with the scraps from it and put together this fun rainbow pillow.


I named the block Shadow Pinwheel because the negative space in the middle looks like a traditional pinwheel block.  However, the color placement makes it look much more modern!  


I usually make a pillow whenever my batting scraps are overflowing - pillow forms are such a great way to use up fabric I no longer care for and tiny batting pieces (I cut the scraps up into 1" squares to stuff my pillows with).  I always do an envelope closure too - it's so much easier than inserting a zipper.  As long as you give yourself enough of an overlap there's never any problem with gapping!

For fun, I drew up my block in EQ8 and put it into a full quilt just to see how it would look.  Seems like it would be a fun one!


It looks pretty good in two colors too!


I didn't write up a pattern for the full quilt, but my mock-up uses four inch sashing between the blocks.  I did, however, write a pattern for the pillow, including instructions for how I make my envelope-backed throw pillows which have no raw edges anywhere!  The Shadow Pinwheel block pattern is available now!

Comments

Kathy E. said…
Love the modern design and it's perfect for both a pillow and a quilt! I tend to always put an envelope backing on my pillows too. No need to put extra work into zipper placement when this works even better!