Sparrow Party

The Sparrows are having a party!  They started off in my stash, extras from projects finished or never started, and finished up by throwing an outdoor party!


I made this quilt as part of a quilt-along hosted by Pen+Paper Patterns back in April and May.  I finished on schedule, but once it was done the poor top just sat and sat.  The birds patiently waited while I finished up my secret sewing projects, and they were first in line for finishing once those were done.


Lindsey's pattern called for neat, orderly rows of birds, but I felt like that was too much pressure to make all the birds exactly identical.  So I decided that doing the same number of rows, but with only three birds per row, randomly spaced, would be more fun.


The quilt-along also included a bonus mini paper-pieced bird block, which of course I had to make.  He didn't quite fit in on the top, but he looks great on the back of the quilt.  The numbers print is quite old - I bought it about five years ago to back a quilt "someday" and I finally made one that matched the colors!


The quilting for this one was done by me.  Nothing fancy, just long wavy lines that are supposed to represent the wind.  I started in the center and then echoed my first line up and down the quilt, purposely not following it exactly.  The binding is scrappy from the extra fabric used in making the birds and is the perfect finishing touch.


As you can see, the birds had a great time at their party, touring a local sculpture garden and meeting all the big animals there!  I hope their future ones are just as successful!

===================================================
I'm linking the Sparrow Party Quilt up as my favorite finish for July 2021 at Meadow Mist Designs!

Comments

The sculpture garden is such a perfect location for photos of this finish. I really like that you chose to randomly space the sparrows out in your quilt. Congratulations on the fun finish!
What awesome quilts in the wild photos!!! So good! And I love your layout of the birds, random--looks perfect!
Cheryl said…
This quilt is adorable and the photos are great! Thanks for linking up!
Deb M said…
Your quilt is so fun...just love it!
Susan Smith said…
Love your little birdies & what a fun photo shoot. Thanks for sharing & take care.
chrisknits said…
What a sweet quilt! And I love the photo shoot. Just adorable.
Allison said…
Your quilt is lovely. I especially like the way you have randomly spaced the sparrows - they certainly don't line up, evenly spaced, when they visit my garden!