Whisper Challenge Mini

Today I can finally share the results of the challenge game that my guild played from September to June.  We called it the "Whisper Challenge", but really it was a big game of mini quilt telephone!

Can you tell which quilt was mine?  Keep reading to find out!

The rules were pretty simple.  The September quilter got to see the photograph and create a mini quilt based on it.  The October quilter only got to see the finished September quilt, not the photograph.  The November quilter only got to see the October quilt, etc, etc.  Then we all submitted photos to the challenge organizer and she put together a slide show to show off all the quilts in order.  There were four groups participating, each with a different starting photograph.

Did you guess that this was my quilt?  I was very excited when I saw the November quilt had curves and blues, two of my quilty favorites!  I kept the white curves on the blue background, making six quarter circle blocks and rearranging them until I was happy and putting in random-sized spacer blocks.  I also loved the pop-of-yellow stripe, so that made it in as well.  The red plaid reminded me of the shape of the green trees in the quilt, and the green stripe is just a favorite fabric!  So basically I pulled all of my favorite elements and put them together into one quilt.  I quilted it partially with straight lines to mimic the quilting of my inspiration photo, but the rest is random free-motion in a few favorite motifs, color-matching everything.  The brown binding makes a "frame" and incorporates the brown that I ignored in the bottom of the inspiration quilt.

The back is a favorite print of mine, which I also used on the back of the Blueberry Jam quilt (and there are scraps of it in many of my scrappy quilts as well).  And why such a hefty hanging sleeve you might ask? Don't I normally just hang my minis with command hooks and safety pins?  Because the whole Whisper Quilt challenge was hung at a local quilt show!

This was my first quilt show quilt and it was so fun to go there and see all the quilts hanging together in a row.  My son told me it was the most fun exhibit in the building, but he may have just been buttering me up for ice cream after we left, because he also enjoyed pointing out bits of fabric that I own in the other quilts hanging there.  The entire exhibit is currently under consideration to hang in another quilt show, so I might be on the road again so see it for a second time!

Comments