Epic Rainbow Bowtie Quilt

My dear, sweet cousin is due with her first baby on Christmas Eve and last weekend we celebrated with a baby shower.  The weather was unseasonably warm and we were able to sit outside and talk and talk for hours.  Many family members flew in from out-of-town and we had such a lovely time.  Of course, I had to make a baby quilt for her!

This scrappy beauty is based on the pattern by Heritage Threads in Issue 22 of Make Modern magazine. I shrunk the blocks down because it was a baby quilt, which also gave me the advantage of being able to use mini charms for some of the "white" squares.  Some of the white fabrics do repeat, either the same pattern in different color ways or multiple of the exact same fabric, but never any too close together.  They have not shared the baby's name yet, but the "M" represents their last name.

Since this is a winter baby, I backed the quilt in a yellow flannel print.  Yellow is my cousin's favorite color, so I quilted it in yellow thread as well: a lighter yellow on the front and a darker yellow on the back.  This matched the scrappy theme of the quilt because both yellows were mini Aurifil spools that I already had.  To finish it off, the binding is a paw print fabric to represent her love of dogs.

I'm looking forward to meeting my newest cousin soon!  I hope she enjoys snuggling in her new quilt!

Comments