Dino Loop

Today I'm sharing a quilt that can be made from a single layer cake, no additional fabric required.  A lot of quilts that are made from precuts require purchasing additional yardage to round things out, but this one doesn't.  And, best of all, it's made with dinosaur fabric!


Do you still remember your favorite dinosaur from when you were a kid?  Mine was the stegosaurus!  We used to sing the "I am a Stegosaurus" song in kindergarten and I might be humming it right now as I write this post.  When I first saw the Stomp, Stomp Roar fabric by Stacey Iest Hsu I was charmed and when Fat Quarter Shop asked me to make this shortcut quilt and the dino fabric was on the list of available layer cakes I was thrilled!


I've actually wanted to make a dinosaur quilt for a long time, and I even bought fabric to do so, but I never found a pattern I liked enough to cut into it (aside for a few masks for my dinosaur-loving son).  I decided that one dinosaur quilt is probably enough, so I used that yardage on the back of my quilt.


All of the greens are scrappy from my stash.  I love those green polka dots, but they are too big to be cut up nicely for most scrappy projects so I'm happy they finally found a home!  All of the fabrics you see on the back were completely used up in piecing this, so my stash is thinned a little bit too.  I've been using mostly flannels and wide backs to back my quilts recently and I forgot how much fabric piecing the backs together can use up.


The Dino Loop quilt was quilted by Kristy Visser in a palm leaf motif in a chevron pattern.  I chose a golden brown thread that matches the fabric of the binding.


The free Layer Cake Loop pattern is available from the Fat Quarter Shop.  Thanks for stopping by!

Comments