2023 Monthly Recap: May

May seems to have gone by in the blink of an eye.  The month started with a long, fun visit from my mom, and ended with me trying to do all the things I've been putting off before the kids are off for the summer*.  Add in some nice weather, and I feel like I'm barely spending any time at all in my sewing room.  I was very motivated to finish my Oz quilt, even if I didn't quite get the binding on, and I spent some time working on a new pattern too!  And, of course, since the Oz top was done I had to start a brand-new quilt-along to take its place!

* Yes, pictures and a blog post about the postage stamp quilt are on this list!

Quilt Tally
WIP List at beginning of month: 11
WIP List at end of month: 13
Untouched in 2023: 4
Active QAL Projects: 3

Quilts Finished
Meeple Tablerunner (May 2023)

Quilts Started
Hello, Spring! QAL - A new quilt pattern and quilt-along from one of my favorite designers, Pen+Paper Patterns!  I started slightly out of order by laying out all of the leaf blocks for the flowers first - I only have five different green fabrics in the bundle I'm using to sew this quilt and I wanted to make sure they were distributed evenly.  I had fun mixing up the patterns of the leaves so they are all a little bit different.  I also made the first ladybug block just to break things up.


New Pattern Mini Quilt - I've pieced the top and tweaked the pattern.  I'm ready to move on to test run two; hopefully this will be quilted soon.

Quilt Progress (5 WIPs touched)
Sew Place Like Home - This one was at the quilter's slightly longer than I expected, then when I got it back I didn't like any of my binding options at home.  I went fabric shopping this afternoon and found one I liked, so it should be done soon!  I could show the whole top, but instead I'll just give a sneak peek of the absolutely perfect pantograph I chose for the quilting - all the details will be the blog post when it is finished.


Under the Sea - The first compass block is finished!  This blocks uses a lot of the extra fabric from my Rainbow Blossom quilt - the pink and green mosaic areas are from the cheater print on the back (that's why they aren't consistent) and the navy blue circle is from the binding.  I tried not to get any of the cute little icons, but the heart and half a star snuck in.  I also let the colored stripes fall where they lay - no stressing about actual placement of each individual color.  I really like how this turned out!


Scrap Cabinet - Just a couple of blocks made.  You can see the memory scrap quilt block I made for my Oz quilt in this photo too!


Blocks made for my memory scrap quilt and leaders and enders quilt.

Miscellaneous Accomplishments
Pin Banner Letter - This was a quick, satisfying finish.  My son received his drama letter and I sewed it onto the pin banner I made him back in March.

Purrfect Posey Cross-Stitch Mini - For now at least, I'm holding strong to my vow to get my cross-stitch projects turned into display pieces as I finish stitching them.  I put the last stitch into this one on a Wednesday and had it completed by Friday!  It's already on display in my family room.


Next Month's Goal
No official goal for June, except to keep working on my new pattern and all of the in-progress projects I have going on. I'll probably spend more time with my kids enjoying the weather and their company than actually sewing and that's fine by me!

Comments