Project Quilting 15.6: Irish Chain

The Project Quilting challenges have made the first three months of the year fly by - I can't believe March is already almost over!  I also can't believe that this is the first time I have participated - I'm already looking forward to season 16 next year.  But I'm getting ahead of myself.  The sixth and final Project Quilting challenge is Irish Chain.  I have always admired Irish Chain quilts, but I've never actually made one.  Luckily for me, my kids are home on spring break this week otherwise I probably would have over-extended myself and made a full-size Irish Chain quilt.  Instead, I made a single oversized block into the cutest little baby quilt!


My quilt is based on a sketch of a Triple Irish Chain block that I found on a website featuring vintage quilt blocks and a single Rubber Ducky quilt block by Kelli Fannin.  I enlarged the duck block so that it would fit in the center of my 30" Irish Chain block, and then I added a simple border with another four patch in each corner to continue the chain to complete it.  I love a good mash-up and this one is one of my best!  My sons enjoy hiding the tiny plastic ducks in the second picture all over the house, and they had a great time styling this picture of the finished duck block.


I finished the top quickly, and I had time to quilt this quilt in my favorite way: matching thread colors and different patterns! It has been a long time since I had an opportunity to do this and I enjoyed pulling out all of my thread colors again.  I started off by giving the duck a cartoon smile on his beak and some light meandering in his body (the wing is my favorite), then some swirls in the water he's floating on. I used white bobbin thread when I was doing the blue spirals on the front to keep the colors on the back soft.  Finally, I couldn't resist doing a freehand orange peel in the white Irish Chain pieces.  Anytime I can do an orange peel without marking anything it's practically an automatic choice.


The quilt is finished with a soft yellow gingham back and a bright-orange binding, a big difference from my normal black.  The white pattern on the orange looks like bird tracks to me so I think it is the perfect finishing touch to this quilt.


I'm linking up my successful finish with the Project Quilting 15.6 challenge page.  Thanks for stopping by!



Comments

Danette said…
This is a fantastic ducky quilt. Love it!
Danice G said…
What an adorable and creative quilt. Super cute!
Hi Karin, what a cute and original quilt! I love your quilting :-) If you get the chance, please consider linking up to Free Motion Mavericks. We'd love to have you join the fun!
PersimonDreams said…
This is beyond adorable! so happy you found pQ ;)