Christmas Memories QAL

Good morning!  Now that summer is winding down, I'm jumping into another new quilt-along, this time with the Fat Quarter Shop.  This one features the Moonlight Quilt from the Halloween Memories book by Susan Ache.

Oh, it looks my book has been slightly amended!  Since I just finished a Halloween quilt last week (more on that later!), I decided to get a jump on the next holiday and make my version of the quilt in Christmas fabrics.  Because really, any quilt can be made to fit any theme.  I'm going with bold colors and the In From the Cold fabric collection.

The red and green coloring sheet is my colors and the orange and purple version is on the back of the book.  Changing the colors will make this look like a completely different quilt!  I'm also very excited about the very tiny fussy cutting that I'm adding in to some of the blocks (this is optional - don't let it scare you off!).

Interested in sewing along with me?  This is a very relaxed quilt-along and the goal is to make the quilt in 9 weeks at your own pace.  For my checkerboard layout, I need to make 7 sets of 4 identical blocks.  For Week 1, I spent some time getting familiar with the pattern and deciding how I was going to sew it (for example, I always use my Almost No-Waste Flying Geese method for flying geese.  I like this method because it gives me one goose in each direction when I'm using directional fabric like I am with the background fabric in these blocks).  Then I did my first set of green blocks to see how it all comes together.

Looks like these guys approve so I'm good to move on with the rest of the quilt.  Here's my plan for finishing on-time - you can follow me on Instagram to see my week-by-week progress.  I condensed my schedule down into eight weeks so I can skip a week when life gets in the way of my sewing.

Week 2: 2 green sets
Week 3: Hourglass blocks
Week 4: Assemble green block rows
Week 5: 2 red sets
Week 6: 2 red sets
Week 7: Assemble red block rows
Week 8: Add borders
Week 9: Catch-up for any weeks missed

A Note for Week 3: The assembly diagrams for the quilt shows that all of the hourglass blocks are set in the same way, but if you look at the pictures of the finished quilt, this is a mistake.  The design has the star blocks set in diamonds so half of the hourglass blocks need to be rotated.


If you are using directional fabric like me, this means you will need to draw half of your diagonals upper left to lower right and half of the diagonals lower left to upper right.  My pencil line didn't show up in the photograph so I added a dotted line to show this.  I then folded back my fabric along the dotted line before sewing to make sure that all the fabrics would be pointed the same direction before sewing them together.  If you aren't using directional fabric, you can just sew and rotate without all the extra worry!
 

If you'd like more information about this quilt-along, you can check out the Fat Quarter Shop blog post.  They also have a list of fabric requirements and supplies page to help you get started.  Thanks for stopping by come back at the end of the month to see my progress!

Comments