Temperature Quilt 2018

UPDATE: I've taken new photos of this quilt and added a tutorial to help you make your own temperature quilt!  You can find the new and improved blog post HERE.  Thank you!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ta-da!  My beautiful temperature quilt is finished! In a cruel twist of fate, the weather outside is too terrible to take quilt pictures out there, so this indoor picture will have to do for today.  I'm not risking frostbite just to get a nicer picture for my blog!


UPDATE: Here's a picture of it outside.  I struggled to photograph this because every single block has so much meaning to me.  None of the photographs I took really do it justice.


I've been posting about this for the last year, so there isn't much more to say about it.  I love the random color placement (I'm not good at balanced scrappy) and the freehand orange peel quilting (the grid was already there!).  Up close, it's easy to see they aren't all perfect, but from a distance it looks really good!


My label is fun as well - I used every type of weather-related fabric I could find in my stash.  The stars and gophers represent my state and the shoddy photo-shopping is just getting rid of my exact location.  The five diamonds are the last five days of the year.


I used a thinner binding than I normally do because I didn't want to cut off points with it.  This is actually a text print, but it's random enough that I think it looks more like organic stripes.


I'm very excited to have finished this quilt promptly!  It's been fun stitching down the binding as we hunker down to survive the polar vortex.  Luckily for me, I've got more hand sewing lined up, which I'll be working on with this quilt tucked around me!


Comments

chrisknits said…
It's perfect! I love the scrapiness of it all.
Danice G said…
Gorgeous! i absolutely love this quilt. 'Still working on mine.
Patty said…
Totally and completely awesome! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.
Quiltsmiles said…
It's perfect, love all you did to make it yours!
Mary said…
Thank you so much for sharing this inspiration and all the details on how to do it! I finally finished mine and love how it turned out.