2021 Monthly Recap: February

This was a great quilting month for me!  It started with the release of my Bernie's Mittens quilt pattern, followed by the completion of one of my oldest WIPs.  It ended with a pair of mini quilts from my own pattern, as well as a couple of finished flimsies!

Quilt Tally
WIP List at beginning of month: 14
WIP List at end of month: 14
Untouched in 2021: 7
Active QAL Projects: 2
Kid Projects: 2

Quilts Finished
Gypsy Wife (August 2017) - One of my oldest WIPs!
Twin Mug Rugs (February 2021)

Quilts Started
Mother - I was sad when I got the last set of instructions for the Morewood Mystery Quilt, but thrilled when Instagram suggested this quilt pattern to me.  A mystery quilt with curves?  There's no way I could say no to that!  It actually started in January so I was able to make the first two blocks, Health and Plant Life.


I took this photo indoors during the extreme cold snap we had at the beginning of February.  The blood drop background is navy and the tree background is an orange-brown.  I can't wait to see what the next block looks like!

Quilt Progress (4 WIPs touched)
This might be my shortest Quilt Progress section since I started doing these monthly recaps, but I made big progress with everything I touched.  Fingers crossed that next month my WIP count will drop!  First up is the finished Morewood Mystery top - the colors have me excited for spring!


And then I thought I finished another top - my son's Honeypot Sampler.  He laid out the blocks and picked the sashing fabric, but when he saw the size of top he deemed it "awesome, but too small".  So he's going to make three more blocks so it's a little longer.


The shoe is a joke.  It belongs to the kid who made the quilt, but it's too small and has about six holes in it so he uses it to "measure the snow" in the backyard.  It lives right outside my sewing room window and I both laugh and sigh every time I see it.

I also made blocks for my memory scrap quilt and leaders and enders quilt.

Miscellaneous Accomplishments
I made this fun block for a banner my guild is putting together. I knew I wanted to do stripes and curves and decided to mock up something with plenty of both because I'd only have to make one. I can't wait to see how all the blocks look together!


Cross stitch: I'm pretty good about finishing quilt tops once they are done - I quilt and bind them almost immediately.  But my cross-stitches get thrown into a box and then ignored.  Which is silly, because turning them into tiny mini-quilts takes almost no time at all.  Camelot has been stitched since August and took less than hour to finish.


Animal Almanac has been done since early December.  Even with it's bigger size, I still finished putting it together in an afternoon.  The front is stabilized with SF101 and the back is quilted to batting.  I then brown-bagged the entire thing, top stitching around the outside and putting a vertical line down the center.  I love how it turned out!


I'm glad to have both of these out of the box and on display!

And, of course, a few more masks and some origami coasters. I was getting into the car and said, "Hey, where's the mask bucket?" and my tween replied "That's something you never would have said a year ago!" So true, and now it feels like I am making new ones constantly. At least I have patterns and measurements that everyone is happy with (at least until their heads grow!)

Comments