Morewood Mystery Quilt

It's spring!  That means our weather alternates between "warm" (50s!) and rainy.  The only day this week predicted to be dry was Monday, so I made that my unofficial deadline as "photography day".  Luckily, I finished in time!  Presenting my beautiful, pastel-colored Morewood Mystery Quilt!


We ended up at a local historical house and I was delighted to find this white wooden bench behind it - it might be my favorite quilt picture so far this year!

This quilt is the Morewood Mystery Quilt, designed by Cheryl at Meadow Mist Designs.  All of the fabrics are from my stash and the colors weren't planned out when I started - I just looked around for something that I had enough yardage of as each clue was released!  I did make one major change to the pattern - I didn't use a single background color, instead opting to use a solid fabric that complimented the print used in each set of instructions.  So Cheryl's quilt has beautiful diagonal elements, but mine is a plus-sign variation (very appropriate considering she has a plus-sign book!).

The back is a wideback called Dandelion Dreams in Misty Teal - I've become increasingly lazy about piecing my backs in the last year and I love that just one was just ready to go.  While I was quilting it in my favorite floral pattern, a version of Flower Power, the quilt flipped up so that the backing was over the quilt top.  The color matched so perfectly, I decided to just use the extra from the back as a binding.  I've never done this before and I love the effect it gives!  To make it feel more intentional, I made it extra chunky on the back.

This was my third mystery quilt with Cheryl (Poinsettia and the Midnight Mystery Quilt) and the pattern was well-written and easy to follow as always.  She is starting another one next July and I am looking forward to participating again!  You can see other versions of the quilt on her blog!

Finishing this quilt was my March goal and I am linking up my successful finish at Elm Street Quilts!

Comments

Kathy S. said…
What a great pattern for a mystery quilt! Your fabric pics are awesome. I've seen so many different variations of this quilt and like them all.
Deb A said…
Beautiful quilt and love that you just pulled from stash. You have a way with color =)
What a great pattern and what a great photo shoot! Congratulations on your finish!!
Rebecca Grace said…
Your Morewood Mystery quilt came out fantastic! Good job finishing up in time to do the photo shoot between rainy days, too. And yes, the backing was the perfect choice for the binding on this one.
Patty said…
Beautiful! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.
Nann said…
Your mystery quilt turned out so well! And the photo shoot setting is beautiful.