Forgotten Fat Quarter Quilt

I'm kicking off the week with a finish from farther back on my WIP list - the Forgotten Fat Quarter quilt! This one was started in December 2019 as a monthly "row along" but got put on the back burner with only two rows to go.


The quilt gets its name from the fact that I decided to use up all my very old gray fat quarters to make the rows. The ones that have been sitting around forever and you have no idea when or why you actually purchased them. Instead of buying a single background fabric, I dug into my box of solids and found pieces that were big enough for each row.  The pattern was designed by Sugaridoo for Bernina, but of course I took some liberties with it based on the size of my scraps!  The finished quilt fits a twin-sized bed comfortably, so it's quite a good size.

The back is also scrappy from my stash.  I particularly like the clock fabric on the left, but apparently not enough to ever use it!  The selvedge said 2013 and my piece was completely untouched before I sewed it into this quilt.  On the right side is a row that was supposed to be on the front - I was playing fabric chicken with both the solid and print and lost, but think it looks great here.  There are also leftover pieces from at least five different quilt backs - the gray and yellow section at the bottom was cut straight across from the top of my Giraffe Love quilt back!

It doesn't happen often, but I knew from the moment I started piecing this that the quilting would just be horizontal gray lines with inconsistent spacing.  I ditch-stitched where I could and added more lines in where it seemed appropriate.  All of them are eyeballed using the elements in each row as a guide.  I normally prefer a darker binding, but to keep with the 100% scrap theme I used up a gray solid that was exactly the right size!

I'm very pleased with how this one turned out - for a quilt that is based on gray fat quarters it is quite bright and cheerful.  And it's fun to see how well gray plays with each individual rainbow color!

-------------------------

This is my favorite finish for May 2021 (linking up with Cheryl at Meadow Mist Designs)!  It's already been claimed as both a fort roof and a bed quilt by the children due to it's large size.

Comments

Bernie Kringel said…
Wow, I really like this quilt. It is a great take on a row quilt, mainly because the blocks for each row are so unique. Really nice finish!!
It looks great. I really enjoy your version with all the bold color. Your choices really tied all your grays together well. The second "fort quilt" I've visited from Cheryl's linkup. :-)
Love how you balanced the grey and the colours all throughout the quilt. It is beautiful!!

-Soma