Desert Cove Quilt

 Good morning!  Today I am sharing my Desert Cove baby quilt!

Desert Cove is my first non-mini quilt "start-to-finish" 2022 project; almost all of my sewing so far this year has been long-term projects and quilt-alongs so nothing is getting finished!  This is a brand-new pattern, and while there was a quilt-along, I basically just started sewing it together and didn't stop.  I used a junior jelly roll from my stash, along with a few stray jolly bars to fill in after I made a cutting error and didn't have enough of the jelly roll to finish the entire top.  The only change I made from the written pattern was to add a border around the outside - I'm not normally a border person but this quilt seemed to be asking for one.

I have an informal year-long goal to not make any new scraps, so the mis-cut jelly roll pieces got turned into a piano-key stripe for the back of my quilt.  Anything left over after that was cut into 2" squares for my postage stamp project.  The horizontal stripes are 1.5" strips that I found in my scrap bins.  The back pulled a little bit during the basting and quilting steps, but that's a risk you take when you do a stripe for the back.  It doesn't affect the finished functionality of the quilt!

I quilted this one myself, with my go-to big flower method.  I love quilting baby quilts - they are small enough to move around easily and I can typically get the whole thing quilted in one session.  The binding is an old Riley Blake print that's been in my stash for far too long (and I still have more left!).  You can just pretend that all the mitered corners ended up with the stripes matching perfectly like this one.  This beautiful quilt is ready to be loved by a baby!

======================

Linking up with Cheryl at Meadow Mist Designs as my favorite March finish!

Comments

I love your latest baby quilt finish!!! Such great quilting, too!! And to top it off, that binding!😍
Melanie said…
I think the border works very welll here! And my gosh, those stripes in that binding <3