2023 Monthly Recap: January

January was cold and snowy, and the Rainbow Blossom quilt took up almost all of my time.  I did custom quilting in matching colors on it (using my domestic machine) so there was a lot of thread burying to be done.  I'm very happy with how it turned out and to be done with it!

Quilt Tally
WIP List at beginning of month: 11
WIP List at end of month: 12
Untouched in 2023: 5
Active QAL Projects: 1

Quilts Finished
Rainbow Blossom (January 2019)

Quilts Started
Test Block Sampler - One of my goals this year is to publish at least three patterns.  While I was deciding what fabric to use for my first test block, my bin of Lori Holt fabric caught my eye and I decided that all of my test blocks this year will be from that fabric.  At the end of the year, I should have a scrappy sampler that showcases all my pattern design efforts!


Bright Day - After tweaking the test block, I went ahead and made an entire test top for the same pattern! I made a cutting mistake so my throw-size quilt is now a cute baby quilt that's basted and ready to be quilted.  I've fixed my notes and I plan on making a 4-color version of this next.


Quilt Progress (5 WIPs touched)
Postage Stamp Quilt - The top is finished and basted with a soft flannel back. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to quilt it, but I'm planning on doing a straight-line grid so it should go pretty quickly once I get going!


Sew Place Like Home - This month's block is the centerpiece of the entire quilt!  I included Dorothy in my photo to show the scale of the finished piece.


Mother - I wasn't planning on working on this quilt, but the teardrop template and the instructions from the house from my Oz quilt were both sitting out, so I decided to put it together before cleaning up that corner of the sewing room.  I'm sure I won't regret it later when I come back to this quilt for real!


Blocks made for my memory scrap quilt and leaders and enders quilt.

Next Month's Goal
If you've been keeping track while reading, you noted that I have two basted quilts waiting for me and those are at the top of my priority list. However, I want my OMG to stretch me so I'm going to continue with the theme of "finishing an old QAL" from last month and push myself to piece together the top of my black and white Kinship quilt from last summer's 100 Days 100 Blocks challenge. I do not think I'll have time to quilt it, but I would like to get the entire top done. I'm linking up my goal at Elm Street Quilts.


Thanks for stopping by! I look forward to sharing with you again next month!

Comments

Danice G said…
All pretty quilts. Your test block quilt is so colorful.
Susan said…
I like your black and whites. I've been drawn to them the last few months, ad will be doing something soon, but not something as nice as yours!
Anne-Marie said…
Wow, so many amazing projects happening! Good luck with your goal this month.