2020 Goal Recap: July

Another colorful, varied month. I spread myself a little thin early on - I was working on too many things simultaneously and felt like I wasn't making progress on any of them. Once I sectioned it out better and was only working on one thing at a time (or one thing with a leader and ender project - all those Blueberry Jam blocks were sewn as leaders and enders!) I felt like I was doing much better.  I also took some time to turn my Quilt and Mini Quilt gallery pages into actual galleries!  I like that you can see everything at a glance now.
  
Goal #1: Get my WIP List Under 10
WIP List at beginning of month: 17
WIP List at end of month: 17
Untouched in 2020: 4
Active QAL Projects: 3
Kid Projects: 2

Quilts Finished
Sunstar Quilt with bonus mini! (started January 2020)

Quilts Started
My latest quilt-along is off and running - this time it is the Big Top quilt by Brigit Gail. I haven't done solids or curves in a long time and when I saw this one I couldn't resist! It's also going to be my first full-size quilt; I've made one king and a handful of twins, but the majority of my projects are throw-sized or smaller.



Quilt Progress (10 WIPs touched)
Blueberry Jam.  I was hoping for a July finish on this one, but I'll settle for a finished top.  Should be a quick finish in August after I make another batch of masks.



Plaid-ish quilt. B blocks are done!  I'm happy with my one-block-type-a-month progress.


Rainbow Blossom - I'm in love with these mountains, even as I second guess whether I should have made them blue instead of gray to match the rainbow theme of the entire quilt.  I only have three or four blocks left to make (it depends how everything fits together) and I'm anxiously waiting for the Create fabric to show up in stores - I want to use it on the back and binding!


And I just couldn't stop - I went ahead and made these tiny Xs which are accents for the next word block!  They look huge here but each one is only about three inches finished.


A slow month for Making the Cut; I finished the incomplete row from last month and added one new row so it is a rectangle again.  I got distracted by all the other projects I was working on!  You can see my little helpers chatting away as I was trying to take the picture.


A surprise entry: a block for my 2019 Summer Sampler!  I wasn't planning on working on this, but when I saw the week 27 block and how Grey Dogwood Studio put the colors together, I immediately had to print out the pattern and put together my own version!  This red fabric is not my normal style, but for some reason I'm love with it so it was great to get to use big chunks of it in a block (who knows how long the love will last!).


Another surprise: Hayden finished his "Party Star" quilt block!  He finished it exactly two years and one day after he finished the last one if my Instagram post history is to be trusted and now has eight finished blocks.  I may have convinced him to go with a nine-block layout instead of a twelve-block layout by telling him if we made another block in August I could have the whole thing done for him by his birthday!


Blocks made for both my memory scrap quilt and leaders and enders quilt.

Goal #2: Give Away 5 Quilts - COMPLETE!
This month: 0
Year-to-date: 5

Goal #3: Create 3 Patterns
Progress made on pattern writing this month: yes
Patterns written this month: 1
Year-to-date: 2

Two accomplishments this month!  I had a personal July challenge to play with EQ8 daily.  I didn't quite accomplish that, but I did come up with a design I liked well enough to submit to a magazine and they will be publishing it next year!  So I've been working on that pattern instead of creating new ones.  But I do have a few more in the "has potential" category!  My middle son saw me playing on EQ8 and asked if he could give it a go, and of course I said yes.  He designed his own horse quilt block, which we decided needed to be paper pieced.  So we saved his image and I traced it to form a paper-pieced pattern.  Good practice for me even if it's not my own design.  Here is the first part that we actually put together.


Comments