2020 Goal Recap: August

August was a slow month here on the blog, mostly because I spent my time working on only one project at a time.  When I wasn't working on quilt tops I was making masks and literally chasing waterfalls with my kids - we finally found one that they could walk behind and through!

Goal #1: Get my WIP List Under 10
WIP List at beginning of month: 17
WIP List at end of month: 16
Untouched in 2020: 4
Active QAL Projects: 2
Kid Projects: 2

Quilts Finished
Blueberry Jam (started June 2020)

Quilts Started
None!

Quilt Progress (5 WIPs touched)
Big Top - It's not finished, but it's much closer!  My goal for the month was to enlarge the top, baste it, and start the quilting.  However, after I made it bigger I got a little scared of the basting part and ended up sending it over to a friend with a long-arm to baste it for me.  She's still got it so I fell a little short, but I'm still linking up with Elm Street Quilts to show off the finished top because it's so awesome!


Making the Cut is also a flimsy!  This was such a fun pattern to make and used up a lot of tiny scraps.  I took a lot of liberties with the blocks to get my favorite scraps in, including a special improv block you can see below.


Last month, I vowed not to let my Forgotten Fat Quarter quilt get behind again, so the first thing I was jump in and make this month's row. I went way off-script in several ways.  First, I made it in a dark purple instead of green.  I already have two green rows and don't want the quilt to be too heavy on any one color.  Next, I replaced the reverse appliqué that the pattern called for with blocks from the Negativity Quilt, a pattern I bought a while ago but haven't used.  The crazy hexagons keep the feeling of the random dots even though they are paper-pieced.  Finally, the fabric isn't technically a forgotten fat quarter; it's extra fabric from the back of my Panda Love quilt.  I struggle to reincorporate quilt back cut-offs into my stash because they are always awkward sizes, so this fabric was still sitting out.  I'm happy to have found a home for it so quickly!


Blocks made for both my memory scrap quilt and leaders and enders quilt.

Miscellaneous Accomplishments
I know I'm late to the mask game, but I was all-in this month, increasing everyone's personal mask stash as we start to venture out among people more.  This isn't all of the masks I made, but it shows off the different styles I was playing with.  The block in the middle is block 100 for my Making the Cut quilt.  I call my version "Quarantine Cut" so using the tiny masks from the mask panel seemed like a logical conclusion!


Goal #2: Give Away 5 Quilts - COMPLETE!
This month: 0
Year-to-date: 5

Goal #3: Create 3 Patterns
Progress made on pattern writing this month: yes
Patterns published this month: 0
Year-to-date: 3

I did it!  I wrote two pattern drafts this month, the one I started last month and a brand-new one I am hoping to release before the end of the year!  That brings me to three total quilts designed - now I need to pretty them up and get them published!

Comments

Nann said…
It's nice to "meet" you, Karin. The Big Top design is really terrific! I like the way you've described your goals for the year and for the shorter term. Have you figured out the ideal mask pattern? (I need to make more of them.)